Improving the minds, bodies and spirits of children and adults with physical, developmental
and emotional challenges through the benefits of therapeutic riding and equine-assisted activities.
Founded in 2008 by Mary and Theron Simons, Hidden Acres Therapeutic Riding Center is a non-profit organization located on 45 acres in Naugatuck, Connecticut. The property includes a stable, two riding arenas (as well as a covered arena currently under construction) and wooded trails for riding and carriage driving.
Mary and Theron strongly believe in the power of the human-animal bond, personally experiencing the exceptional benefits of equine partnerships. So they committed themselves to creating a place for children and adults with special needs to explore their potential and strive to meet their personal goals – all in a compassionate and supportive environment.
Today, hundreds of program participants are referred to us annually by educators, therapists, family members and friends. As a PATH (Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship) member center, we follow the guidelines and standards the organization has established to provide safe and beneficial experiences.
Who we are
We are …
- People who believe in the power human-equine bond.
- Horses with a special mission to serve those in need.
- Meet our herd and learn about how they train for therapeutic riding.
- Working together to make an impact in our community.
- Check out our philosophy on the benefits of equine-assisted activities.
What we do
We provide …
- Life-changing therapeutic services to those in need.
- Unique educational opportunities to the public..
- Powerful outcomes that improve our community.
On The Farm
We offer a variety of services to meet the needs of many different people,
including not only those who benefit from therapeutic riding and other
equine-assisted activities, but also members of the public interested in
learning about human-equine partnerships and much more.